*Disclaimer: This post may make you feel old. Possible symptoms include: nostalgia, random bursts of laughter and tears and longing to go back to the much simpler times of the 1990s.
As a Gen Yer, I’m very aware that I was part of the first generation to grow up with the Internet and cell phones. But, I can’t help but think about all the things that I grew up with that Gen Z (for this post, that’s anyone under the age of 18) and future generations won’t know about. So, here’s my somewhat nostalgic list of all the things people who grew up in the 90s know how to do that is now obsolete.
1. How to save a file on a Floppy Disc
2. The Dewey Decimal System
3. Dial-Up Internet
4. When AOL used to be the shit
5. How to record something on a VHS tape
6. When all you could do on a cellular phone was talk
7. The point of a pager/beeper
9. How to place a collect call
10. How to find your way using only a map and no GPS
11. Where in the world is Carmen Santiago?
12. How to get a Furby or Tamagotchi to shut up?
13. How to write in cursive
14. How to do the macarena
15. Just how awesome the original Double Dare and Legends of Hidden Temple shows were (Oh wait, just how awesome 90s Nick shows were in general).
16. How awesome and frightening AOL Chatrooms were
17. The secrets to collecting the best Beanie Babies and POGs
18. How to entertain yourself without Youtube videos (oh wait, the Internet in general)
19. The thrill of using napster
20. How to send a fax
21. How to survive high school without Facebook.
Jessica Malnik is a PR/marketing coordinator, social media specialist and videographer. She writes on her personal blog, where a version of this article originally ran.